If you’re craving a healthy alternative to pasta with sauce, try spaghetti squash.
I made this spaghetti squash dish with a turkey meat “sauce”.
1 spaghetti squash
2 cans of diced tomatoes, 12-16oz each
1 package of ground turkey
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1. Preheat the oven to 375-degrees.
2. Prepare the spaghetti squash by cutting it in half length-wise. Be sure to use a sharp knife. These suckers are extremely difficult to cut.
3. Scrape out the seeds as you would a pumpkin.
4. Lay the halves on a baking sheet with the open ends face up. Drizzle a little olive oil onto each half to keep moist.
5. Place in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until tender.
6. Remove squash from oven and let cool slightly.
7. Once cool enough to handle, run the prongs of a fork through the squash. You’ll get stringy pieces of squash that look like spaghetti. Do this until you can’t remove anymore of the squash from the skin.
While the squash cooks, begin making the “sauce”.
1. In a sauce pan, cook a package of ground turkey until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink. Drain the grease from the pan and return turkey to heat.
2. Add two cans of diced tomatoes to the pan. I used diced tomatoes flavored with oregano, basil, and garlic to give it the flavoring of a tomato sauce.
3. Add chopped up mushrooms (if desired) or any other vegetable you might want.
4. Add additional spices to taste- more basil and oregano, salt and pepper.
5. Stir everything together, cover, and reduce heat to low/medium-low.
6. Let simmer until the squash has completed cooking.
Once both have finished cooking, plate the squash and top it off with the sauce. Sprinkle on a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese if desired.
It’s important to note that this sauce is not on the liquid side. If you want more of a sauce, try substituting a can of tomato sauce for one of the cans of diced tomatoes. I like the lighter flair of the extra diced tomatoes rather than the can of sauce.
This recipe will make more sauce than you’ll likely need. You can cut the sauce recipe in half if needed or add another spaghetti squash to the mix.